This Android app is published on the Android Market.
On your phone, search the market for “NYC Parks.”
Take advantage of everything the NYC Department of Parks and recreation has to offer with this Android App.
From basketball to historic houses to zoos, this app helps you find it. Use maps to get right there.
Keep up with special park events.
- The App uses Amazon SimpleDB to host the data in the cloud. A separate program runs to parse the park data and load it.
- The new Amazon SimpleDB Android library is used to retrieve the data for the app.
- An RSS Feed is used to get the park’s special events.
- Many apps, whether web or mobile, provide selection criteria, a results list, and a detail page.
- This app does that with the event RSS feed and the park directory data.
- This app and update process can be seen as a model for creating those types of apps.
- Mobile, cloud, and social go together. Adding social aspects and components from other APIs is the next step.
Creating an app driven by data in the cloud, should be as easy as starting a blog.